Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

My Journey in Becoming a Connected Educator


                                                                                                     image source
I have been an educator for over thirty years and retirement is on the not so distance horizon.  Since I want to end my teaching career with a bang I decided to take an online class through Cal State Channel Islands called Advanced Teaching with Technology.  The course is comprised of three challenges; the first involves becoming a connected educator.  As someone who did not grow up with technology (I owned my first PC at the age of 31), it scares me at times but I have decided to feel the fear and do it anyways!

On my journey of becoming a connected educator what has impacted me the most is how much I have learned in six weeks. At the start of each week, I feel overwhelmed but as I tackle each assignment I know I can complete the challenge because of all the resources available to me in each learning module.  Before I started this challenge my idea of a professional learning network (PLN) consisted of subscribing to journals, attending conferences and watching webinars.  I am doing things I never thought I would such as tweeting and blogging.

I always thought of Twitter as a form of social media for famous people and youth.  I did not realize the potential Twitter has as a means of developing a PLN.  I currently am following 83 people, have tweeted 36 times, participated in several Twitter chats and to my amazement I have 17 followers.  I look forward to Tweeting at the National Science Teachers Association Convention in Los Angeles on March 30 to April 2. #NSTA17

Following EdTech and others on Twitter has provided me with a resource to keep up to date with educational technology.  I have not participated in an EdTech chat but I intend to in the future.  I am also particularly enjoying following on Twitter the "Think Out Loud Club." The quote on their Twitter page,  "A group of learning technology evangelists sharing the pleasure and pain of technology," resonated with me because of my own technology fear.  

Professional Learning Network to Enhance Project Based Learning

In developing my PLN I am also using the Google extension Peartrees to curate resources and connect with other educators.  Via email, Pearltrees suggests collections based on my interests.  I am adding resources to Pearltrees including ones to support the project based learning (PBL) I will be incorporating in my chemistry class.  The first project will incorporate the book The Martian by Andy Weir followed by a project based on the research I did at UCSB the summer of 2016.  My students started the first PBL activity this week.  I have included a video on how being a connected educator will enhance PBL and have included images of the students collaborating on the project.




Becoming a connected educator enabled me to be part of a world-wide group of educators.  As the only chemistry teacher at my school, I no longer feel isolated because I have joined a wide group of educators.

Let the Journey Continue


As I continue my journey as I connected educator my goals are to continue to connect with other educators to collaborate, problem solve and think creatively about student learning goals.  My PLN will provide support from questions asked, ideas and resources shared.  Look for my Tweets from the NSTA conference later this month!  @svallechem 
As always your feedback is welcome and appreciated.  thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    You have grown tremendously in such a short period of time. It's wonderful that you have established a clear goal that guides your PLN (using PBL in your high school science class). We'd love to hear more about your "Martian" project as it continues to develop. And thanks for sharing the link to the "Think Out Loud Club." That looks like a resource I would like to learn from, as well. Your video is well done. Thanks for sharing your class with us!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete