Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Using Seesaw to Create Digital Portfolios

 image source: Helen C Bartlett, PhD

I have always wanted to use student portfolios in my classroom. I was apprehensive of doing so because of  concerns about how to store over 150 portfolios stuffed with papers of student work.  Using the app Seesaw I created both a teacher and student account (I used my dog's name, Athena, for the student account).   I created a science fair folder for students to place their work for the Ventura County Science Fair.  I really enjoyed using Seesaw as a student, it was very easy to add to the folders created by the teacher.  Besides uploading files; photos and videos can be taken with one's device and added to the portfolio.  A drawing tool, adding links and notes are also options. On the app there could be improvement in the way the folders are organized.

Seesaw transforms traditional student portfolios because in addition to the options mentioned above, the app allows parents to have access to their students digital portfolio and students can leave verbal or recorded comments on their classmates portfolios.  The teacher can also use Seesaw Blogs to publicly post students' portfolios.  I would definitely use this app in my classroom.  My students begin working on their science fair projects in August and the final project is not due until March.  Seesaw is a great way for the students to organize everything related to their project and when we use class time to work on the project there will no longer be the issues of lost papers or left at home.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Susan. Do your students have the opportunity to view each others' portfolios and comment on them? If so, that is another way the digital portfolios transform a traditional portfolio. That peer-to-peer interaction is a powerful way to spark meaningful connections with content. I'd love to see a screenshot of one of the digital portfolios (with the student name removed)! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan. I want to start using this app too! Thanks for your post. It sounds great! I look forward to seeing your portfolios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great that you are trying out Seesaw. I have found it to be a great way to organize students' work, while giving parents access to it. Seesaw is also a great app to use for assessment; especially with the ability to audio-record, draw, and caption photos and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great way to organize student portfolios. I also love that parents can easily view them and that students can leave comments for others to listen to. It also sounds like it is fairly easy to upload what students want in their portfolios. This technology can help to close the digital divide because all students and parents will be able to use this technology. It will help students get better with technology and at the same time students can show parents how to use this technology.
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete