Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Who Says You Can't be Creative Using an iPad

I created the front page newspaper article below using the Lifecards iOS app. When working with technology I prefer to use my laptop.  In order to truly experience technology through the lens of a student, I decided to try an activity using an app available only on an iPad.   


The  Lifecards app is very simple to use and I was able to complete the postcard in approximately 45 minutes.  I decided to write about an element because this is an activity I could assign my chemistry students.  Each student could select an element and provide information about its discovery, symbol mass, etc.

Using the  Lifecards and Seesaw apps an assignment typically given to chemistry students is modified and redefined through technology.   The assignment task has been modified since students will have a digital record of the element they studied and can create additional element postcards adding further information throughout the study of chemistry (such as electron configuration, oxidation numbers, ionization energy, etc.)  By the end of the chemistry course, each student could have a permanent digitized index of the chemical and physical properties of all 118 elements created by themselves and their classmates. The assignment task is also redefined if the postcards are placed in a digital portfolio using the Seesaw app (please see my Seesaw blog dated 3/8and shared among the classes and globally through the Seesaw blog allowing the students' work to be published to an authentic audience.  

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such an engaging and creative idea. And I love how you are linking the activity directly back to an ePortfolio artifact. Great job, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Susan! Thanks for sharing. Having another app for content creation is always useful. I love that it can be imported to Seesaw and other apps for portfolios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the clever way you've tied the work together using a portfolio app, Susan. One other option might also be to package them in an eBook using an app such as Book Creator. Using an ePortfolio or an eBook also offers the chance to review the work and add text or audio reflections as well. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Thanks for sharing your experience using the Lifecards app. I can imagine my students using this app for a variety of different projects in class. Were you able to upload the newspaper article to Seesaw directly from the Lifecards app, or did you need to find a work around?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    This seems like a very engaging way to get students into science or any other subject area. This app helps to organize learning around real world challenges. I like this idea and feel like students would love to do this project.
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete